The artist’s fees toolkit
Whenever freelance status is agreed there remains a need to agree a rate for a job of work. The basic processes involved in setting that rate are:
- deciding what you think you should earn;
- working out over what period you need to earn this;
- deciding what additional costs you suffer and which have to be paid before there's anything left over for you, such as:
- costs an employer usually pays, such as national insurance and pension contributions
- direct costs of doing the work
- the ongoing costs you incur to work as an artist.